Its nearly that time of year again where people enjoying switching on the TV’s to watch one of the world’s most well known multi-stage cycling races – the Tour de France. This years tour will start on Saturday, July 2nd and run until Sunday, July 24th. In total there will be 21 stages covering a staggering 3519 kilometres. Are you set for watching the Tour? Are you heading over to watch the tour in person? Here are some facts about this year’s Tour de France
Tour de France 2016 Facts
- This year is the 103rd year of this great sporting event. Unlike the past couple of years it won’t come to the UK but will be visiting 3 neighbouring countries – Spain, the Principality of Andorra and Switzerland
- The starting point for this years tour will start in the beautiful Mont St Michel. Which you can also visit on our Normandy Landing Beaches tour.
- There will be 9 flat stages, 2 individual time trials, 1 hilly stage, 9 mountain stages which includes 4 summit finishes (Andorre Arcalis, Mont Ventoux, Finhaut-Emosson et Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc) and 2 rest days!
- The famous Mont Ventoux will make its appearance this year after not being in the tour since 2013. If you are interested in taking on Mont Ventoux, you can check out our Provence by Road Bike tour.
- There are 4 Jerseys that the riders are aiming for…these are White Jersey (Best Young Rider – Under 25 yrs old), Red Polka Dot (Best Climber), Green Jersey (Leader of the points clarification) and finally the Yellow Jersey (the leader of the general individual time clarification)
Are you ready for this years Tour de France? We certainly are!